• Our PI was invited to present our latest results at the Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico) and in the congress of Bioenergetic and Biomembranes of the Mexican Society for Biochemistry in Atlixco, Puebla (Mexico).
• Raúl Ventura presented our latest results at The Inter-organelle contacts biology meeting EMBO conference in Fiuggi.
• We have attended the 45 th SEBBM congress in Zaragoza.
• We are thrilled to announced our last article in Bio-protocol journal. Improved methodology for the subfractionation of the endoplasmic reticulum.
• Welcome Damián and Laura, new Master students in the lab.
Our group leader gives an interview in Mexico.
• We say goodbye to Marc, Albert, Nil and Maya. Good luck!!!
• Congratulations to Juan Carlos for obtaining his Ph.D.
• We have obtained our second National Project.
• Check our last article in Science.
• Congratulations to our new generation of bachelors.
• Raúl Ventura obtained a competitive Ph.D. scholarship (FPI 2022). Well done!!
• Our group leader obtained a new research grant “Consolidación Investigadora 2022”.
Or group leader gives an interview to Onda Cero about our most recent publication
related to type 2 diabetes.De cero al infinito 01/04/2023. Minute 40.
• Researchers find a molecular mechanism involved in type 2 diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which the body does not produce enough insulin, or does not use it efficiently. It is caused by the combination of a genetic predisposition to obesity, sedentarism and an unhealthy diet, and it affects millions of people around the world. Now, researchers of the University of Barcelona (UB), the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB) and the Diabetes and Associated Metabolic Diseases Networking Biomedical Centre (CIBERDEM), have identified a molecular mechanism involved in the development of this disease.
• Check our new article on mitochondrial aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases. Redox Biology, 2023.
Decreased expression of mitochondrial aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases causes downregulation of OXPHOS subunits in type 2 diabetic muscle.
• Our new preprint is out!
Effects of Aerobic Exercise in Hepatic Lipid Droplet-Mitochondria interaction in Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
Nil Rojo and Damian Antelo joined the lab as undergraduate students from the University of Barcelona. Welcome!
We welcome Albert Píquer and Marc Leiro to the lab. They will be working with us as part of their Master’s thesis.
- A new preprint is out!
Decreased expression of mitochondrial aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases causes downregulation of mitochondrial OXPHOS subunits in type 2 diabetic skeletal muscle
Check the preprint here:
- Raúl Ventura has initiated his PhD by winning a research initiation grant from the Institute of Biomedicine of the University of Barcelona (IBUB).
- We officially welcome our new Ph.D. students: Ayda Roudi and Raul Ventura!
- Albert Piquer Ruiz obtained one of the Departmental Collaboration scholarships from the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training for the 2022/2023 academic year to carry out his master’s thesis.
- Our collaborator Dr. Rodrigo Troncoso from Chile University visited our lab.
- Our group leader organized together with Dr. Susanna Bodoy and Dr. Tania Quesada the 8th MetNet International Annual Meeting.
- Welcome to new undergrad student Maya Saidu from St George’s University, London, UK.
- Our group leader presented some of our latest results at the EMBO workshop “The endoplasmic reticulum: the master regulator of membrane trafficking” in Lucca, Italy.
- Our group leader gave a talk at the ‘Division of Molecular Biology of the Instituto Potosino of Scientific and Technologic Research (IPICYT) of Mexico.
- Our PI has participated in the initiative of the University of Barcelona and Co-founded by the European Commission «Nit de la recerca» Cafés Científicos de la UB 2022
- We welcome Susana, who will be doing her internship as technician for a year with us.
- New publication from the group:
Book chapter “Endoplasmic reticulum: a hub in lipid homeostasis published in Intechopen.
- We welcome Izan Cabrerizo, a summer student from Barcelona University.
- We say goodbye to Alysha. Good luck!!
Our PI is giving a conference at the 2nd International Symposium on food, nutrition, physical fitness and health. University of Chile.
Our lastest publication:
Review on phospholipid membrane transport and associated disease. Biomedicines 2022, 10(5), 1201; https://doi.org/10.3390/biomedicines10051201
Juan Carlos Bórquez is joining the lab as visiting Ph.D. student from Chile University.
- The lab welcomes Inmaculada Martínez (Ph.D. student) and Dr. Iliana López-Soldado (postdoc) both funded by the Caixa Foundation.
- Welcome to new undergraduated students Marc Leiro, Albert Piquer, and Anna Casado from Biology Sciences, University of Barcelona.
Welcome to new undergrad student Alysha Jiwa from St George, University of London who is going to stay one year with us.
We have been founded by the exclusive grants from “La Caixa”!!
“La Caixa” Foundation Research call for Health Research 2021
Raúl Ventura, María Zapata joined the lab as undergraduate students.
Our first students!! Inmaculada Martínez and Vicente Cambra joined the lab.
Let the adventure begin!!